In February 2020, ten pioneering organisations launched Australia’s first place-based Financial Inclusion Action Plan to address the issues of financial stress and hardship affecting the local communities in Geelong. Since then, the Pioneers have played a critical role in assisting those in the Geelong community who have experienced the worst financial impacts of the COVID-19 health crisis.
Some of their initiatives include:
- Deakin University provided $6.7 million as financial assistance to students experiencing hardship as result of COVID-19
- Bethany assisted 86 clients through their financial counselling/financial capability support services
- Barwon Water provided $498,527 as grant assistance to 3547 vulnerable customers through its Customer Support Program
- Aware Super delivered 650+ webinars, covering 24 different topics, to help vulnerable members to make best decisions about their financial future especially around early access of superannuation
- WorkSafe Victoria introduced a new financial wellbeing program to better support their employees
Read more about how the Pioneers have been successful in driving positive change through practical actions: