UNSW’s Financial Inclusion Action Plan outlines 18 actions to make a significant difference to financial exclusion in Australia. The actions are focused where they can have the greatest impact:
- Increasing the number of scholarships for disadvantaged students
- Expanding UNSW’s no-interest loan scheme
- Developing a financially inclusive residential strategy
- Building a better organisational understanding of our students and their needs
- Emphasising an improvement in UNSW’s FIAP and extending initiatives in 2019
- Introducing financial literacy training and support for students.
“It’s important that UNSW and the higher education sector are accessible and equitable for everyone,” said Edward Bartolo, Student & Chair of the Board, ARC at UNSW. “This [Plan] shows UNSW’s commitment to the financial inclusion of students and will make a lasting difference to the individual lives of many current and future students. It was fantastic that the student body was consulted so early in the development process and we look forward to our continuing involvement.”